Friday

This time last Friday...

...I was sitting at my desk waiting for the work day to end so that I could meet the mister for dinner at Cafe Mode in Covent Garden. Cafe Mode is a cute little Italian (plus burgers and steak) place that got some solid reviews on Yelp plus they had a coupon on their website so, we decided to try it out.

Where: 57-59 Endell Street (Covent Garden)

The Scene: A cramped, busy and lively atmosphere mostly comprising of pre-theater diners

Delight: Quality pizza

Disappointment: The pepperoni dough ball starter and a stale-ish desert

image[via]
The coupon I had downloaded required the mister and I to purchase 2 main courses and a starter and dessert (or 2 starters or 2 desserts). Since I love dining out and trying more than 1 item on the menu, I find myself usually ordering all of the above so I didn't feel like I was duped into spending more money with the coupon. (You know that happens sometimes)

The starter and dessert however left a lot to be desired. For the starter we ordered the pepperoni dough balls which were literally pepperonis and dough balls on a plate. For £5 I was expecting a bit more than something I could pick up from the grocery store and do myself in less than 5 minutes.

The pizzas we order were really delicious and true to the Yelp reviews, the service was great! I had the goats cheese & sundried tomato pizza and I believe the mister had the rocket and parma ham pizza. (I was a little tipsy that night - forgive my memory)

The dessert we shared was the chocolate cake. The cake was really dry and again something I could have probably picked up at Sainsbury's and made myself to a higher standard.

The restaurant was buzzing and it's a small space so keep your legs out of the aisle, but I like that vibe; everyone so excited to see their show or meet up with friends after work. Next time I go back (sans coupon) I'll just get the pizza and do a little more people watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment