Thursday

The Children's Hour

On Saturday evening the mister and I headed into town for an evening at the theatre. We were seeing The Children's Hour. I'm not sure I've shared this with you all but, one of my new year's resolutions (or just goals for the year) two years running has been to see at least 1 show each month. Having such great theatre (and general cultural activities) is something I really don't want to miss out on while living in London. I've recently discovered Off West End which is a great directory of smaller and more affordable shows. Back to Children's Hour...

We arrived at the Comedy Theatre, just off Picadilly Circus, right on time. As we took our seats I was absolutely thrilled they were legit theatre seats rather than those heinous bench/entirely made of wood seats that you find in some of the old theatres (including the Mouse Trap theatre).

Keira Knightly and Elizabeth Moss play two young women who have sacrificed much of their young lives saving for and building a boarding school for girls. One day one of the girls, who is a pathological liar and complete psychopath and I mean that in the literal sense, amoral and lacking empathy, starts a rumor that the two women are lesbians. What unfolds is not only a great story about love, loss and sacrifice but a somewhat sad wake up call that gays and lesbians still endure these judgements today. 

I had fairly high standards for this play considering the cast but it was Bryony Hannah that really stole the show for me. Playing the psychopath school girl Mary Tillford, Bryony hit her mark. Her mannerisms, her intonations - everything was spot on, so much so that I actually hated her character at the interval. 

Speaking of the interval, what would the theatre be without a bit of ice cream at the interval? I only put this in here because I had Beechdean's honey and ginger flavor, which was different in an amazing kind of way. I may have snuck more than my fair share while the mister was in the bathroom...


Children's Hour is only running until the end of April. I believe it is sold out but they're releasing standing tickets on the day (I believe). I urge anyone who has time and strong legs (for standing) to go see it. It is one of the best plays I have seen.      

1 comment:

  1. I didn't enjoy the play as much as you did. There were several unconvincing plot developments/characterisations that didn't help me either. I also didn't take to the way Mary was portrayed on stage; I would have believed how easily the adults were led by her had her she been portrayed with chilling subtlety.

    ReplyDelete