Wednesday

Blues Kitchen - Camden


Recently I went to the Blues Kitchen to sample some good (or what I hoped to be good) home southern cookin'.


image[via]

Where: 111 - 113 Camden High Street (near Camden Town tube)

The Scene: Camden. Enough said

Delight: always a good atmosphere but on a weeknight not too crowded

Disappointment: blah food.

When I originally suggested this place to my friend it was because she had commented on wanting to try their jalapeño cornbread. Thinking that sounded amazing, I thought that we should give this place a whirl. Upon arriving we were told by our waiter that they only served the corn bread for parties. I asked if we ordered a lot of it, could we get some. He laughed and firmly stood by his 'no'.
 
So gutted that the jalapeño cornbread wasn't available we decided to go for the next best thing for a starter, the sweet corn fritters. These weren't the best fritters I've ever had but they were quite good. The crunchy outside, the sweet corn taste and to top it all off, mango, coriander and red chili salsa that I could have eaten by the spoon full.

For my main I ordered the cajun chicken burger and my friend ordered the Blues Kitchen Chili. We both thought our mains were lacking in flavor. My cajun sandwich had barbeque sauce on it, which last time I checked isn't cajun or spicy. The chili got ok reviews but it was so disappointing to see it being served with corn chips rather than corn bread. Real southern places would never leave out the corn bread. But this is London, where they just can't seem to get American food right. (Sandwiches are my biggest complaint but that's for another time.)

how chili should be. con pan de maíz.
image[via]

All and all, I thought the Blues Kitchen was ok. The prices were very reasonable making it much easier to palate my cajun sandwich came sans cajun. But this ain't no soul food.

No comments:

Post a Comment