Thursday

Brunch at home

Since I still wasn't feeling 100% last Sunday, the mister and I decided to have brunch at home. Going out to Brunch/Lunch has become a weekend tradition so I'm glad that it's not something I have to completely miss out on even if I'm feeling under the weather.

The night before I made some Overnight Baked French Toast. This was the first time I tried this recipe and while it's dead simple to make, it was a little soggy for my taste. Perhaps next time I'll bake it for longer. I've included the recipe below and you can also find it here.

 


We also whipped up some scrambled eggs, turkey bacon and berry smoothies to complete the meal.

 

Overnight Baked French Toast
(Recipe adapted from The Gourmet Cookbook)

Recipe [via]
Ingredients:
1 (13-14 inch) long loaf soft Italian or French bread)
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons butter) softened
2 large eggs
1 2/3 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar

Maple syrup
Powdered sugar

Directions:
Butter a 9 x 13 baking dish. Cut 12 diagonal slices of bread. Reserve ends for another use (I made croutons for our salads this week). Generously butter one side of each piece of bread. Arrange bread buttered sides up in one layer in prepared dish. It will be a pretty tight fit.
Whisk together eggs, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until combined. Pour evenly over bread. Cover and refrigerate until bread has absorbed all of custard, at least one hour or overnight.
Preheat oven to 425 degrees and bring soaked bread to room temperature. Sprinkle bread with sugar and bake until puffed and golden, about 20-25 minutes. Serve immediately sprinkled with powdered sugar and with maple syrup.
Yield: 6 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment