Saturday

Maki Yaki

This is my third trip to Maki Yaki in South Wimbledon since moving to London. I would honestly go a lot more often if I found myself in the Wimbledon area more frequently.

Where: 149 Merton Road (Near South Wimbledon tube)

The Scene: Dinner with a girlfriend on Friday night

Delight: Baked sushi and reasonably priced beer

Disappointment: This time, having to sit next to the door (brrrr...)

Don't let the location fool you (across from a service station), Maki Yaki is truly one of the best sushi places I have been to in my life. I absolutely love their baked sushi. The heated fish and avocado just melt in your mouth for a truly unbelievable eating experience. The sushi is very reasonably priced at £7 - £9 per roll. Miso soup is included with your order so between miso soup, one sushi roll and a few beers (£2.70/bottle) you can feel full and easily spend under £15.

All the food is extremely fresh and the staff very pleasant. On previous visits I have had the sashimi which was excellent.

Tonight, my friend and I didn't have a reservation, but thankfully there was one table for two left! I ordered the baked California roll and my friend the 'crunch' roll which is your typical tempura roll. This visit was more about catching up with my girlfriend rather than experimenting with lots of food. But should you try Maki Yaki I would recommend these:


Ocean roll (baked)

Lion King roll (baked)

999 roll (hot & spicy)

Tuna & garlic salad

Any of the maki rolls

I've also heard that their tempura ice cream (is that authentic Japanese?) and green tea ice cream are very good, but I have yet to try those.

image [via]

No comments:

Post a Comment